Question: “I’m concerned about my child/friend/loved one’s eating problem. I think he/she needs help, but can’t get him/her to call. What can I do?”

Answer: Talking to a loved one about seeking help for an eating disorder can be difficult—you might worry that you don’t know exactly what to say, or that your friend or family member won’t be receptive to your concerns. There are resources that can help you navigate the conversation, whether you are a parent noticing worrisome changes in your child’s eating, a concerned teammate, or a friend looking to help. You might consider getting some information about treatment options before approaching your family member or friend. If you are interested in learning more about our program, you can call us at (646) 774-8066. We can provide some basic information about our Center’s resources to take back to your loved one. The National Eating Disorder Association can also provide referrals local to your area.

Ultimately, if you are interested in your loved one being evaluated for treatment at our program, we will need to hear from him/her directly to (1) ask some questions that will help us assess eligibility, (2) describe our program and research studies, and (3) answer your loved one’s questions.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: